Notarizing a DS-3053: What You Need to Know about Minors and Passports

You’ve selected a city for your big international trip. The kids are ecstatic to explore a new country next year. But you forgot the one thing that stands between you and your big trip abroad.

Your kids don’t have a passport (yet).

If you’re a guardian or parent, you’ll need to get a notarized DS-3053, which can unlock a whole new world for your children. Here’s what you need to know about notarizing a DS-3053.

What is a DS-3053 form?

Before we explain what a DS-3053 is, there are a few things you need to know about getting a passport your kids.

If you have a child that is under the age of 16 and is in need of a passport, both parents need to give consent for them in order to receive one. But life happens. Your partner may not be able to join you at the Passport Agency. Or perhaps they’re away on a business trip and you need to get the passport application filled out now.

This is where the DS-3053 comes in.

A DS-3053 form is a Statement of Consent form specifically for the Issuance of a Passport to a Minor under the Age of 16. The form is also commonly known as the passport parental consent form. You'll need to fill out this form when you're ready to hand in your child's passport paperwork if your spouse or partner isn't able to join you at the agency. 

Notarize Your DS-3053

What should I keep in mind when notarizing a DS-3053?

Notarizing a DS-3053 form isn’t always straight-forward.

First, you’ll need to be able to furnish documentation of your child’s citizenship and guardianship. In addition, you’ll need to have your own ID ready when you go to notarize your document online. Lastly, you’ll need to furnish a written and signed consent form from the parent who wasn’t able to join you at the passport office. If you’re the sole guardian or you have sole custody of your child, you won’t need a written consent form.

The best part about notarizing your DS-3053 form is that you can do it online, anytime. By notarizing your document with Notarize, you don’t have to take time off from work or take the kids out of school early to head to the passport agency office. You can get it all done from the comfort of your couch, in between doing homework and eating dinner.

How do I get a DS-3053 notarized?

  1. Download the DS-3053 form. You can use PDF, DOCX, ODT and HTML format of your document.
  2. Fill out the form (but don’t sign it!)
  3. Log on to Notarize and upload your form.
  4. Connect with a commissioned, electronic notary public over your camera-enabled mobile phone, tablet, or laptop. Be sure to have your ID ready.
  5. Sign your document in front of the notary and send or download it for printing. 

That's it! Now you and your kids are one step closer to that trip abroad. 

Ready to notarize your DS-3053 form?
Head to Notarize to get it notarized in under 15 minutes flat.

New call-to-action