Four years of Notarize: Accelerating growth and building the next chapter
Just this past weekend, Notarize hit its 4 year anniversary. When I started the company, I couldn’t have imagined the impact we’d have.
Our list of accomplishments is extraordinary. Here’s just a few things I’m proud of:
- 1st legal online notarization platform
- 1st online real estate closing platform
- 1st legal online will(s) executed
- We’ve partnered with 31% of the real estate industry by volume in just the past year
- $1,100 in savings per real estate closing
- 18 state laws passed
- And the business grew 70% just last quarter
As a team, we’re changing laws and industries across the country, helping businesses achieve digital transformation for the first time, and helping people with the most important transactions of their lives.
It’s been an incredible journey and I’m often asked, “How?”
Our General Council, Michael Chodos, describes Notarize as, “the ultimate idea whose time has come.” Every major technology, and company to truly transform our lives -- from Uber to Netflix -- has succeeded because people want a better way to do something, that saves both time and money.
With Notarize, we’re seeing the same momentum around a product experience that makes business better, and makes major life events easier, and more convenient.
Notarize was incorporated on 4/20/2015. It took us:
- 10 months to build v1, launching the first legal online notarization platform in Feb. 2016.
- 18 more months to build the first online real estate closing platform, gaining the necessary approvals and closing the country’s first ever online mortgage in August 2017.
- 17 more months to complete the first 1,000 online real estate closings, hitting that milestone in January 2019.
And just four months later, our online real estate closing number has 2,000 -- up 100% since the start of the year.
Everything is accelerating. Only three months after hitting 1,000 online closings, we’re now processing hundreds each week.
And so what have we learned that will guide our efforts for the next four years?
Our mission is to serve people during life’s most important moments. And the people, our notaries, are the key to helping people during these crucial times.
Our goal is to build software so good that it disappears in the background, leaving you and the notary to connect.
Our plan is to build the nation’s leading customer service organization, ensuring every American can connect with someone trained to support their life’s most important transaction - no matter the document, time of day, or issue the customer may face.
The team is growing quickly and we’ve been working on our core values. A key tenant for me is that Notarize embrace the responsibility. After changing laws across the country and convincing our partners to change their entire operations, it’s time for us to deliver. We’re honored to have the chance to do so. And I’m thrilled for everyone to see the impact that the team at large is having. I'm humbled to be a part of the journey - truly Notarize v2 is in the works
I can’t wait for whatever the next four years brings.